Saturday, February 4, 2012

What's Up With This Weather!!

What is up with this great weather??

I can't believe how warm it has been here in Gridley, middle 60's. Unfortunately, it is creating a false spring to my fruit trees and yesterday I saw 2 blossoms on my apricot tree. I saw tulips at the grocery store and Trader Joes and I love them, it just lifts my spirit when I see them in my kitchen.
I am a collector of antiques, have been my whole life. My collections can change from time to time but one collection I have are these glass containers with silverware in the pictures above. They are from the late 1880s-1930s and called "spooners" or celery holders, spoon holders. People with large families would have a large container of silverware of some kind in the middle of the kitchen table and fancy tables would have glass ones. I use them all the time for small flower arrangements, candy, at Christmas I put small Christmas ornaments inside. One large glass container I have I even put lights inside for the holidays. Most of the time I use them for silverware on a table.
Last week I wanted a lamp in my bathroom to match my fabric on a chair. I had used fabric to line a lampshade in the past but had never used wallpaper. So I tried it and it turned out fairly well. I did learn one lesson about the glue so next time I will water down the glue and use a small paintbrush to apply it.
Frank has continued to work on the restoration of his tractor. Yesterday he bondoed-not sure of this word but he puts bondo over dents in the metal, grinds it down and puts primer over it so the dents are repaired. I told him it seemed very strange to be putting bondo on a 60+ year old outside tractor. First time that old Ford has had any repairs done to it in its' life! The picture is of the front grill and side piece. Frank is having so much fun and loves doing a "professional" job.

I guess I have been feeling very homey and domestic lately. I get very anxious to work outside and get started on the vegetable gardens and plants, especially with this great weather but I just have to force myself not to, as it is much too early. So I think of flowers and food!!! I made this yummy chicken pot pie yesterday and invited our friend, Tina to come join us.

Until next time, thank you for joining me at our Windmill Farm and a new twist to my blog for 2012, Windmill Farm Life and Country Design.

1 comment:

Dirt Lover said...

I didn't know that little info about the "spooners." Your pics are very pretty, I can understand why you like to collect them. Oh, your pot pies look yummy!
~~Lori

Comments