Tuesday, April 11, 2017

LIVING ROOM REMODEL: PLANTING SUCCULENTS; UPCOMING CLASS SCHEDULE

Our living room is nice, but it just needs something new done to it.  Plus it had a short list of repairs needing done to it.  Yes, believe it, I keep lists of each of my rooms; yards; gardens; garage; closets, you name it.  I can't help myself.  But when I see something that needs fixing, I write it down on a list.  If I see something that can be changed for the better, I put it on a list.  Then every once in a while, I compile these lists to rooms, areas and believe it or not, to either Frank or I lists.  Things that he does or can do; things that I can do.  Example:  The front door needs to be painted (blame it on Annie, the dog.  
Every time she wants in and the back dog door is shut, she goes to the front door and scratches it).  I am the official painter in the family so that task goes on my list-which happens to be in the front living room, so it goes on tasks that need to be done for the living room.  WEIRD!!!  But that is how we keep things in working order around here at Windmill Farm-lists.
So back to the living room.  We needed electricity in the center of the room for lights.  Light above and lights around the room, just never lights right next to a chair or the couch.
That task got done a few weeks ago when we paid a neighbor's workman (who is a small guy) to go underneath the house to pull some electrical wires to outside walls.  Then Frank carried the project from there.  There are now 2 multi plugs in the wood floors AND while he was doing that, Frank decided to put an electrical plug box out by the front door, down low where you wouldn't see it.  Why?  For Christmas lights of course!!!  I always have Christmas lights out front and had to run a long, long cord around the house to the nearest electrical source. DONE! Off the list.
The window sills needed touch up painting-DONE.  Front door re-painted gloss black-DONE-did it yesterday!  Lots of editing of STUFF.  Fans and sconces needed good cleaning and globes washed. Still on list. Get the picture?  I drive Frank crazy I know.
What I really wanted to do to do to this room was change the wallpaper above the fireplace.  It is a soft aqua damask print.  Nice, but I want SHOCK value.  Here is what I want-but it cost $450.  Can you believe it for only a 4' x 7' piece? Beautiful designer, Ellie Cashman. Took inspiration from Great Master's paintings. 
Ellie Cashman Wallpapers
 

Alternative on-line looking and found an Etsy distributor who makes a similar large, bold, black background with floral prints. Cost $96 + $15 shipping. DONE!! (I sold a chair I wasn't using so used those funds for the paper-thank you Becka for buying the chair and helping me with the wallpaper purchase).
But it won't be here for 4 weeks because it is coming directly from China.  Other purchase I need to make is to find a different rug, but I want to install the paper before I decide what the room needs.  So for right now, the room is on hold to scratch off the rest of the items on the list.  I am so excited but a little nervous about the wallpaper-don't tell Frank, he hasn't seen it yet!
Easter break is now on for our grand kids, so this week Carli is staying with us for a few days, on her own, without Collin.  This is because she got straight As on her report card and we asked her what she would like from us as a reward for doing well.  Answer:  to come stay with grandma and grandpa all by herself.  DONE!  Carli and I went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of succulents to plant out front.  
Those planters always seemed to have trouble maintaining consistent water so we changed the soil; put in new mulch/soil and planted all 4 of them.  I think they turned out great and will keep looking better and better as the plants fill in and hang over the planters.
I finally got some class scheduling done and I think the classes are going to be great, great fun.  Here they are:
1. Once a month Knit/Crochet night: Bring your own work, project, problem pieces, or learn to knit, crochet get together. April 25th, 6-8pm; May 23rd, 6-8pm; June 20th 6-8pm. $10.

2. Found Object Decorating Bird houses, paint it, decorate it, go home with completed fun bird house. We will be using, garden objects; moss, sticks, knobs, corks, stones, I will have loads of fun found objects to use. Wednesday, May 3rd, 6-8pm and another class on Saturday, May 6th 10-Noon. $30, everything supplied but you bring the creativity!!!


3. Starting in June-dates coming-bag making classes (you know how we all need to carry grocery bags in our car); & Strawberry Jam canning class. (date coming when we have a better idea about growth of strawberries)

Hope you can make one or all of these class, information on how to sign up is over in this blog under NEWS and EVENTS.
LOVE this Cashman Wallpaper
Our grandson Collin and rest of the family are coming Wednesday; fun times together for the rest of the week.  I hope your Easter week will be filled with family and friends.

No comments:

Comments