Tuesday, March 28, 2017

KNITTING PODCASTS; UPHOLSTERY PODCASTS-NETFLIX SLOW TV BINGE Viewing

I am deviating today from my normal blog.  Why?  Because I have been working in the yard and field for 3 days and my knees, back, neck and hands are killing me.  I don't even want to go outside to take photos to show you what I am doing.
Instead, I wanted to share with you a couple entertainment sites I love to watch, to have fun and to learn.  If you like to knit or crochet, sit back and enjoy.  If you don't, they are still absolutely fun and you will be laughing.  

The Grocery Girls-on Youtube.TheGroceryGirls They are knitter sisters that are fast talking, having a great time, talking about themselves, their family, shopping, work, but most importantly, their knitting.  The family owns a grocery business and everyone works there.  They say it is their "real" job and a year ago, the sisters decided to do a little YouTube video.  And it has exploded into a really popular site.  They make me laugh every episode talking about just every day funny things.  But the knitting objects and yarns and tools they talk about are brilliant.  The one sister, Jodi makes these darling bags.  Both are on Instragram under sister Jodi-mresbrownbags and sister Tracie-Tracie.  It is on once a week or every two weeks, can't remember because it automatically shows up.  Once I found them, I spent hours watching their older YouTubes and it isn't like you can fast forward them.  They are so engaging, you want to be part of their conversations and not miss a moment.

Off Our Needles-Same sisters, but became an instant success that Craftsy picked them up to make Podcasts under their site.  Similar style-the two of them chatting.  But a bit shorter and structured.  Off Our Needles.  The last one I saw, they both were sitting in a studio WEARING PAJAMAS to celebrate Mother's Day.  They are up in Canada so their holiday may be different than ours.  Then they did a phone call to their mother who is also darn funny.  Topics are yarns, de-mystifying knitting stitches; products, but basically really fun.

Kim's Upholstery-Kim's Upholstery-OK, another YouTube Podcast and person I just love.  You want to learn how to slipcover or upholster from someone who is fabulous, watch her YouTube videos.  She is one of those people who shares all her years of knowledge.  She most recently started a Podcast, once a week, Wednesday morning with projects.  You start out from the beginning and for a month or so (or until it is done) she shows you how to upholster it.  Her husband does the video taping and they chat back and forth, complain to each other, help each other.  They both do upholstery work as a business.  For years, her YouTubes were filmed in their (I think they are in Maine) basement but now they actually have an office shop.  She has become quite popular, is asked to lecture and demo all over the place.  And she sells complete How To videos via the Internet.  So you can take her courses during your own time and convenience.  Kim is fun and during the live Podcast, you log in, she says hello to you and you can ask questions as she goes along.  

Arne &Carlos-arne&carlos.  These guys are famous all over the place, have written tons of books and go lecture all over the world.  Probably more famous in Europe.  They live in Norway, one is Norwegian and they have this fabulous old place overlooks a lake.  They present weekly YouTube tutorials on lots of crafting, but mainly crocheting and knitting.  They talk back and forth, laughing and having a good time showing everyone how to make beautiful objects.  Their knitting is the best, they make all those intricate sweater designs.  They used to work in the clothing design business and changed their focus.  Again, guys sharing their knowledge and skills with the rest of the world, at any time day or night on YouTube.
OK, I am not through yet, I have one other place I think you ought to go view.  I just found it and love it.
NETFLIX-Slow TV- Slow TV National Knitting Binging- It is filmed in Norway and it is 17 hours of everything you want to know, see, hear, learn about knitting.  But not what you think.  Set inside a very old knitting factory with the old looms.  There are people sitting upstairs, downstairs all working on different projects.  Some are knitting pieces to completely cover a Harley Davidson motorcycle. They bring in models of knitted objects; someone periodically teaches you stitches; they interviewed a woman who can't stand knitted projects not finished.  So people from all over the world send her unfinished projects (some projects are over 30 years old) and she completes them.  They talk about therapy for this person.  Tons of information, I can't stop watching it.  But I must say, I watch it late at night when everyone has gone to bed because I want to concentrate AND you have to read sub-titles.  Yes, the downside of it, it is in Norwegian but it really isn't a problem.  Only that I can't binge knit or crochet myself and listen to it.  You have to keep your eyes on the TV screen and read. Slow TV has other subjects, like burning wood for like 13 hours and watching it burn; taking a train ride and viewing what you see from a train.  Bizarre but fun too.
Those are some of my favorites for knitting and crocheting.  I have others, don't you have YouTube favorites?  I have one I love of a young man who metal detects mostly areas where there are Civil War items; coins, old homesteads.
No, I don't spend my day watching TV.  But I am a bit of a night owl and stay up late so that is when I do watch it.  And now my TV is a smart TV and I can get YouTube right on it without watching on my computer.  Oh-I have been known to watch a YouTube on my tablet on my lap and be also watching it on the TV, different programs.  Maybe I need therapy too.
See you next time and I will show you some photos of the farm, the yards, some flowers blooming-promise.

No comments:

Comments