Saturday, November 19, 2016

DIY PAPER VILLAGE BUNTING-BANNER FOR CHRISTMAS

Christmas has been in my thoughts as Frank and I always try to make so many of our gifts.  After attending our local Hazel Street Vintage pop up antique store a few weeks ago, I saw so many of those adorable cardboard /paper mache houses that were from the 1940's time period.
They were called Christmas Villages, or Glitter Houses, each one unique.  I remember you could find them for a couple dollars at yard sales or antique shops.  They are now at least, $8-$15.
When I was young, my mother had these, I have no idea where they came from, possibly kits from Japan and a person could decorate each one with, what I think they call Putz Glitter, and sprayed snow on them.  They all came out each Christmas and always had a space of honor on top of the television cabinet.  Oh yes, tvs used to be a piece of furniture inside a cabinet with doors to hide it.
Some of them had lights inside and my sister and I would always put this village out with "bottle brush" antique trees on a bed of rolled out cotton, so it looked like snow.  One time we put a mirror underneath the village so it looked like a frozen pond with ice skaters.  We also had smaller decorated paper houses that were tree ornaments.  
Frank uses his Silouette cutout machine to make decals for his engines and vehicles all the time so I asked him if he could cut out some houses for me.

 I went on-line and found an article about a group of ladies that got together and put together a bunch of these houses and provided free patterns using the Silouette so I downloaded the patterns. Off he went and gave me several sheets of different house and church patterns which also included some trees.

After he printed them out, I punched out all the cut out windows, details, even the trees had cut outs. There were little pieces of card stock paper everyplace!!! Then I glued the roofs, steeples, trees together.  

The next part of the project was the question, how do you string them together?  Too fragile to punch a hole in the roofs.  So I just threaded a needle with thread and went through the roofs and made a loop.  
 I crocheted a string of yarn about 6' making a loop at each end so you could hang it on a tree or across a cabinet, like I did in the photos.  From that point, I took some heavier twine and tied the yarn through the threaded loops on the roofs and also did the same to the top of the trees.

As I laid out the crocheted string, I set up each house, church and tree and measured the distance between each one.  I marked it with a pin and then  tied each unit to the string completing the banner.
I like it plain, but I think taking the time to put glitter or spray some snow on the roofs would be very cute.
 
And a great kids project.  What Christmas projects are you working on at your house?  Would love to hear them.  If you want to know where to get the pattern for the churches, houses, etc, just comment below and I will post it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Could you let me know where you got the templates please.

Comments