Thursday, October 19, 2017

Another Wedding; Pumpkin/Flower Arranging Class-All In October!!!

Doesn't anyone get married in summer any longer???  At least in my tiny flower farming world it doesn't seem so this year. In the last blog, I showed you the flowers of my 1st wedding in October, but the following week, I had another one. 
Then, if that wasn't enough, I knew I had my annual pick your pumpkin, carve it; pick your own flowers from our flower gardens; and then make your beautiful arrangement the following weekend. Lots to do, lots of planning.
So let me start with wedding #2 in October.
Beautiful bride, lovely, lovely family. This wedding requested dark red colors in bride's;pink and other color flowers for table and bridesmaid-no ribbons hanging; burlap and lace. 



I think the wedding party looked beautiful.
The Pumpkin/Flower class quickly followed.  I readied my sorting shed, Frank set up tables and chairs.  I put out all the details needed like flower clippers, buckets, hand towels; brought out the food and drinks and put them in the cooler.  I also pre-picked lots of greens, fillers and some flowers so they could get started before going out into the field to pick their own.
At 4:30 am, I was awakened to loud noises.  It was the wind blowing at least 20 mph.  I almost feel back to sleep when I thought:  all my class stuff is outside and probably blowing away!!!  And would 14 ladies want to be outside in that kind of wind to try and enjoy themselves?  No.
So I waited until daylight, got dressed and examined the class area.  It was a total disaster, stuff was all over the yard, some tables had blown over.  I thought to myself: 1.  I am too old for this.  2.  Maybe I should cancel. 3.  Where would I hold it that was outside of the wind?  ANSWER: I didn't cancel and inside the house was the best place, and get my butt moving and maybe the class can still happen.
That meant, clean up the house quickly. I woke up Frank - I needed his help to move all those chairs and tables and greens and buckets and food to the front door and I would set up inside the house. He was a good sport and could have just put the covers over his head and pretend he didn't hear me.
I don't know how it happened, but we made it just in time.  I took a video, I will try and load it right here before the class.Before class video

In the house was a great idea in the end.  People were more comfortable, chatted away.

But we did have to brave the wind to go out and have them select their pumpkins; and they cut their own flowers. 
Some people even went out again after they got started to select more flowers or different colors.



Fun time, love it when Moms and daughters come; or when people bring a friend.  They get to share the experience here at Windmill Farm.

No comments:

Comments